Thursday, October 1, 2009

"Crying it out"

Chris and I started the whole “crying it out process” Sunday night, and let me tell you, we were not looking forward to it. The doctor said to start it at about 4 months old, especially since he was getting used to sleeping in my arms all night. Sunday came along and I was looking for an excuse not to start it, but I realized that if I kept putting it off, he’d be 2 years old and still sleeping in my arms. That would definitely not work. So…we did it and it actually wasn’t as traumatic as I thought it was going to be. He woke up about three times, but each time, I nursed him and rocked him, and he fell back asleep. I was so happy we didn’t have to listen to him cry for a long period of time, but I was so worried the whole night that I set my alarm every 40 minutes or so to check on him. By Monday morning, I thought, “Hey, this isn’t so bad. We can do this.” As you can guess, I spoke too soon. Monday night, Catch woke up 3 times again, but the last time (at 3:30 am) he cried for 35 minutes after we tried to get him back to sleep. It was awful! I just sat on the bed listening to him on the monitor. Tuesday night was a little better. We gave him a teaspoon of rice cereal in his bottle before we went to bed even though his doctor said not to. I felt like he wasn’t full before he was going to sleep, and I think I was right. Catch sucked down that bottle like nothing! He still woke up 2 times, but the last time he only cried for 25 minutes. My mom sat in the kitchen with me while I listened to him cry. Although it was still awful to hear, at least it was 10 minutes less than the previous night. On Wednesday, Grandma Lisa brought over one of the best gifts we could have ever received! She got us some monitors that track Catch’s breathing, so if he ever stops breathing it’ll set off an alarm. It has made us much more relaxed! We can now put him on his tummy, which is his favorite way to sleep. And I don’t have to set my alarm every ½ hour to check on him! Wednesday night was even better. He only woke up 2 times and once I nursed and rocked him back to sleep, he stayed asleep. I was beginning to have hope. Last night was the best night so far. Catch only woke up once at 3:30. I nursed him and rocked him back to sleep. Luckily, he woke up about 6:25, because if he would have slept until 7 like he usually does, I would have been late to work. Thanks Catcheroo! Keep up the good work! :0)

Going for a walk.



We were getting the monitors set up, so Grandma Brenda rocked him to sleep. This was the first night of rice cereal. Do you think it worked?!

My precious

The following video is from our trip to Little Rock. This was the first time he pushed up on his elbows to hold himself up. He is growing up so fast!

No comments:

Post a Comment